Don’t Wait Until It’s Too Late: Know the Signs of Clutch Failure
Watch for These Symptoms
While drivers in manual cars have more experience with the delicate and finicky use of the clutch, automatic transmissions also develop clutch problems and every driver should know the signs. The clutch is the mechanism that determines what gear your engine goes into to achieve the speed your vehicle needs. The clutch ensures the engine connects to the wheels. When the clutch begins to fail, the symptoms will go beyond just an inability to keep your vehicle in gear.
Top Seven Signs Your Clutch Needs Repair
Having served the Hartford, CT area since 1934, the experts at Capitol Transmission have seen it all! They know you haven’t, and have put together a list of the seven most common signs your clutch needs to be repaired.
- Difficulty Executing Reverse: The most difficult gear shift for the clutch is going into reverse because it is literally the opposite function of every other gear. If you are fighting your clutch to get into reverse, this is a definite sign of clutch failure.
- Soft Pedal: For those manual drivers, your clutch pedal has a lot of resistance behind it when it is working properly. A failing clutch will cause the clutch pedal to feel softer because it is less effective.
- Slipping: If your clutch is unable to maintain gear, it will slip out of gear without warning. This will cause the RPMs to increase without actually causing you to speed up at all.
- Rough Gears: If your clutch is finding it difficult to connect into the forward-moving gears, that is also an issue. It shouldn’t take much effort to move from third to fourth when you are at speed, so if you are fighting your clutch, it may be time to have it replaced.
- Grinding Noises: If your clutch is having a tough time maintaining gears, it will also be quite noisy. If the clutch doesn’t engage, then there is a loose connection of parts that aren’t quite fitting together.
- Vibrations: When your engine is struggling, it often has the ability to shake your entire vehicle. If the clutch isn’t performing properly if you’re slipping gears or struggling to shift into one, there may also be a vibrating or shaking sensation while your clutch fights you.
- Burning Smell: The most dangerous sign of a failing clutch is the smell of overheating or burning. Your clutch performs a vital engine service and if it’s not working, and instead overheating, it can cause damage to itself and other nearby engine parts.
Quality Clutch and Transmission Repair in Hartford since 1934!
If you experience any of the signs of clutch failure listed above, you’ll want to ask a factory-trained technician about a thorough inspection and possible clutch replacement. Call us at (860) 953-9155 or schedule an appointment online today!